This is the Great Escape’s guide to things happening in the world of indie films, fiction, comics and the arts. We’ve pulled together a bunch of events for you to check out in June…
In the World of Indie Film
VidUKon, Cardiff (12th – 14th June) – A fan run convention for fan vidders and vid watchers, including screenings, panels and workshops.
Edinburgh International Film Festival (17th – 28th June) – Intimate in its scale, ambitious in its scope, and fueled by pure passion for cinema in all its manifestations, the EIFF seeks to spotlight the most exciting and innovative new film talent.
Secret Cinema – The Empire Strikes Back (from 4th June) – Secret Cinema are seeking rebels from across the Earth’s territories to join the Rebel Alliance in their fight against the Galactic Empire.
This Month in Fiction
National Flash-Fiction Day – 27th June 2015 – Now in their fourth year, National Flash Fiction Day aims to celebrate all that is exciting and bold and, above all, brief in the world of flash-fiction. They’ll be highlighting the work of writers and groups currently active in flash-fiction. Check out their website for details of events. (Twitter @nationalflashfd)
Book and Writing Festivals happening this month include:
- Derby Book Festival (May 31st – June 7th).
The first ever Derby Book Festival includes over 60 events and activities, including internationally celebrated, best-selling authors and a broad range of local writing talent. Highlights include Michael Morpurgo, David Nicholls, Sarah Waters, Katie Fforde, Simon Armitage, Penelope Lively and James Naughtie.
- Flamstead Book Festival – Books in the Belfry, Hertfordshire (5th – 6th June).
With guests including Sophie Hanna and Jane Hawking. Check out the website for the full programme. Proceeds go towards restoration of the town’s church.
- Winchester Writers’ Festival (19th – 21st June).
The 35th annual Winchester Writers’ Festival; support for new and established creative writers from around the UK and overseas working in all forms and genres. The programme offers workshops, talks and informal socialising with literary agents, editors, authors and publishing experts.
For more book fairs and literary festivals, check out literaryfestivals.co.uk.
It’s a busy month on the comic convention scene. Here are some of the events happening:
- Wigan Comic Con (13th June) – celebrities, cars, cosplay and much more.
- Lancaster Comics Day (14th June) – A day of comics and fun at Lancaster Library.
- Laydeez do Comics Graphic Novel Forum London (15th June) – “like a combination between a book club and a series of TED talks” Julie Davis 2013. A unique graphic novel forum with a focus on comic works based on life narrative, the drama of the domestic and the everyday.
- ELCAF, London (20th – 21st June) – the 4th East London Comics and Arts Festival; dedicated to showcasing all things related to comics, graphic novels, sequential art, illustration and storytelling based in East London.
- Cardiff Independent Comic Expo (27th June) – Cardiff’s only independent comic show returns in 2015 at Cardiff Masonic Hall, to showcase the very best in independent comic artists, writers, publishers, retailers, illustrators and more, from South Wales and beyond.
Other Cool Stuff that’s Happening
BIANCO is back. Bigger, better and more beautiful than before. Cardiff’s No Fit State Circus will be back in their home city from 12th – 27th June where you can catch BIANCO before they take the show on tour around the world.
Brite Theater Presents: Richard III (A one woman show) – Emily Carding stars as the entire cast in Richard III, touring throughout the South West and wider festival scene this summer.